International Adapted Physical Education in Italy
This program allows students to participate and engage in an adapted physical education camp, including adventures with hiking, swimming, kayaking, rock climbing and much more! Work hands on with teens and young adults with physical and developmental disabilities in the context of a different country. Focus is on promoting physical activity and sport to individuals with disabilities. Students will plan and implement a variety of physical activity lessons for students from a different country. A “universal design” to instruction will be implemented to insure students of all abilities and languages will be included.
Reggio Emilia, Italy
June 3rd to July 3rd, 2020
Early application & deposit is strongly encouraged to secure your spot. Proof of a valid passport is required prior to the trip. Any disability requiring special attention must be reported to the instructor. All participants in this program must register for credit, including non-matriculated individuals.
Carli Ross is a lecturer in the Kinesiology Department at California State University, Chico where she received her credentials in Physical Education and her masters in Adapted Physical Education. She teaches a variety of classes for the department, focusing on Adapted PE, Physical Education/Teacher Education and activity classes. She is the coordinator for both the BEWEL (an adapted PE service learning program for adults with physical disabilities), and Autism Clinic. Carli loves to experience cultures first hand, and has traveled around the world teaching and taking classes. When she is not traveling, Carli enjoys playing beach volleyball, hiking, yoga and spending time in the water on her SUP board.
- Number of Participants Accepted:
8 (minimum) – 12 (maximum). Note: Preference will be given to CSU, Chico students who have taken KINE 315 or other equivalent course, as well as to students who have experience working with individuals with disabilities, as described in the application.
Students share private apartments with 3 other students on the program. The apartments are modestly furnished with double occupancy rooms.
Academic Course Fees (3 units) $900
Program Fees & Foreign Travel Insurance: $1,650
Note: Above program fees does not include round-trip international airfare, meals other than those listed in the program, laundry, or personal expenses (estimated to be approximately $1,500).
Participants in this program must have a valid passport that expires no sooner than 6 months after the return date of the program. Those needing a U.S. Passport can apply in the Passport Place at CSU, Chico, located in the Student Services Center Room 440.
Routine service for first time applicants (age 16 and over) takes 6 -8 weeks from form DS11 submission date.
Expedited services for first time applicants (ages 16 and over) takes 2 -3 weeks from form DS11 submission date. There is an additional fee for this service.
For more information, go to the Chico State Passport Place website
- Application Deadline & Fee Schedule:
- November 22, 2019: Application deadline to attend Study Abroad Information Session, meet with a Study Abroad Advisor, and submit all TREK Documents (including personal statement, materials and questionnaires).
- December 3, 2019: Students will be notified of acceptance into the program, or otherwise put on program waitlist. Accepted students will then be prompted to pay $500 Program Deposit (nonrefundable if the program has sufficient amount of students). Preference will be given to CSU, Chico students who have taken KINE 315 or other equivalent course, as well as to students who have experience working with individuals with disabilities.
- December 13, 2019: Deadline to pay $500 Program Deposit (for selected participants) to CSU, Chico RCE to secure spot in the program.
- April 10, 2020: Deadline to pay final program fees of $2,050 and enroll in KINE 589 course.
June 5 - July 10, 2020
Language of Instruction
Add link to the following text -> from Find out more about this program from host university<